The Russian Military is Replacing the AK-74M with These 2 New Rifles
By Daniel Brown,Business Insider
- The Russian military will be replacing its standard issue AK-74M rifle with the AK-12 and AK-15.
- The AK-12 and AK-15 have 30-round magazines, can shoot 700 rounds per minute, and are equipped with a number of different sights.
- The two new weapons will be part of Russia's "Ratnik" program, a futuristic combat system that includes modernized body armor, a helmet with night vision and thermal-imaging, and more.
The Russian military will be replacing its standard issue AK-74M rifle with the AK-12 and AK-15, according to Military Times, citing Russian state-owned media.
The "5.45mm AK-12 and 7.62mm AK-15 are officially approved and recommended by Russian Ministry of Defense for issue to Infantry, Airborne and Naval infantry troops of Russian Armed Forces," the Russian defense manufacturer, Kalashnikov Concern, which also made the AK-47 and AK-74M, said in a press statement in January.
The AK-12 and AK-15 have 30-round magazines and can shoot 700 rounds per minute, the Kalashnikov statement said. They're also equipped with "red dot, night and IR sights to underbarrel grenade launchers, forward grips, lasers and flashlights, sound suppressors and more."
The two new weapons will be part of Russia's "Ratnik" program, a futuristic combat system that includes modernized body armor, a helmet with night vision and thermal imaging, and more.
The first-generation Ratnik suit was reportedly given to a few Russian units in 2013, and some pieces of the suit were spotted on Russian troops in Crimea.
Russia claims the second-generation suit will be operational in 2020, and the third-generation suit will be operational in 2022.
See more about the AK-12 and AK-15 in the short Kalashnikov video below:
More from Business Insider:
- Photos reportedly show Russian jets wrecked by mortar fire — and it could be the start of Russia's nightmare in Syria
- 9 of the most outrageous things Kim Jong Un has said
- Saudi Arabia is giving many of its citizens $3000 for free
- After mass protests, Iran bans English in schools to fight Western 'cultural invasion'
More Weapons and Technology - WARRIOR MAVEN (CLICK HERE)
All Scout Warrior content has now moved to www.warriormaven.com
WARRIOR MAVEN's Premium Offer - Free for US Military - Offers Q&A with US Military Leaders - PREMIUM CLICK HERE
--- Kris Osborn, Managing Editor of WARRIOR MAVEN (CLICK HERE) can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org ---