Russia Says Su-57 Stealth Fighter Will be Armed With Deadly Hypersonic Missiles
Warrior Maven Video Analysis Above: Air Force Fast-Tracks New Air Dropped Weapons - New Bunker Busters
By Daniel Brown,Business Insider
- Russia said its Su-57 stealth fighter jet will be armed with hypersonic missiles similar to the Kinzhal hypersonic missile.
- Moscow said the new Kh-47M2, or Kinzhal, hypersonic missile can hit speeds of up to Mach 10 and has a range of 1,200 miles.
- But the missile will have to be a smaller version of the Kinzhal to fit in the Su-57's weapons bays.
Russia's Su-57 stealth fighter jet will be armed with hypersonic missiles, according to Tass, a Russian state-owned media outlet.
"In accordance with Russia's State Armament Program for 2018-2027, Su-57 jet fighters will be equipped with hypersonic missiles," a Russian defense industry source told Tass.
"The jet fighters will receive missiles with characteristics similar to that of the Kinzhal missiles, but with inter-body placement and smaller size," the source added.
Moscow said the new Kh-47M2, or Kinzhal, air-launched hypersonic missile can hit speeds of up to Mach 10 and has a range of 1,200 miles. The Tass report also said "Kinzhal missiles are practically impossible to detect with modern air defense systems."
While many western analysts remain skeptical of the Kinzhal's capabilities, the missile appears to be an adaptation of the Iskander-M short-range ballistic missile that flies at hypersonic speeds.
But the "missiles with characteristics similar to that of the Kinzhal" will have to be smaller than the actual Kinzhal to fit in the Su-57's weapons bays, according to The Diplomat.
The Russian military will reportedly receive a small batch of 12 Su-57s next year, but Moscow has yet to equip the fighter with theIzdeliye-30 engine, which means it is not yet a true fifth-generation jet.
SEE ALSO: 2 new videos show Russian Su-57s fighters landing at the same time and performing flat spins
More from Business Insider:
- Photos reportedly show Russian jets wrecked by mortar fire — and it could be the start of Russia's nightmare in Syria
- 9 of the most outrageous things Kim Jong Un has said
- Saudi Arabia is giving many of its citizens $3000 for free
- After mass protests, Iran bans English in schools to fight Western 'cultural invasion'
More Weapons and Technology -WARRIOR MAVEN (CLICK HERE)