Los Angeles, CA – The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) has released bodycam footage that captured the moment that a suspect charged at police with a box cutter gripped in his hand (video below).
The incident occurred at approximately 12:10 p.m. on June 6, in the 3800-block of Edenhurst Avenue, the LAPD said in a press release.
Northeast Division officers responded to the area after they received a report that the suspect, later identified as 59-year-old Jose Antonio de Santiago-Medina, was armed with a yellow box cutter and had threatened two people in the area.
The victims did not know one another, and had been threatened by Medina separately, according to the release.
Officers began searching for the suspect, and located him standing outside a nearby residence at approximately 12:25 p.m.
As the first officers at the scene began speaking with Medina, they also requested that a “bean bag shotgun” be brought to the scene, LAPD Captain Gisselle Espinoza said in the video release.
Bodycam footage showed the officers as they ordered Medina both in English and Spanish to face away from them and to get onto his knees.
“Initially he followed the directions being given,” the LAPD said in the press release. “After about 30 seconds, he stopped following the directions of the officer, reached into his rear waistband and removed a box cutter.”
Medina momentarily lost his grip on the weapon, but quickly snatched it back up off the ground.
“While holding the box cutter and ignoring the commands being given by officers, the man ran in the direction of officers, resulting in one officer firing a beanbag shotgun and Northeast Division Police Officer III Paul Bernd…firing his handgun at the man.”
Medina was hit by both the beanbag round and the single bullet fired by Officer Bernd, and immediately collapsed onto the pavement at the officers’ feet, dashcam footage showed.
The officers kicked the boxcutter out of the suspect’s reach, then proceeded to place him in handcuffs.
Medina was pronounced dead at the scene by Los Angeles Fire Department personnel, the LAPD said in the press release.
He had no prior contacts with LAPD, and had no previous criminal history, Capt. Espinoza said in the video release.
None of the officers were injured during the encounter.
The department’s specialized Force Investigation Division is handling the investigation into the officer-involved shooting.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Justice System Integrity Division and the Office of the Inspector General are also monitoring the investigation.
The LAPD chief of police, the Office of the Inspector General, and the Board of Police Commissioners will review the completed investigation in order to determine whether or not Officer Bernd’s use of deadly force was justified, KTLA reported.
The district attorney will then determine whether the officer acted in compliance with the law.
You can watch bodycam and dashcam footage of the officers’ encounter with Medina in the video below: