VIDEO: Man Points Gun At Cops, Tells Them To Die, Family Suing Cops For Shooting

Cody Eyre's family said they plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit in connection with his Dec. 24, 2017 death.

Fairbanks, AK – The Fairbanks Police Department has released video footage of the fatal officer-involved shooting of a man who was armed with a revolver on Christmas Eve of 2017 (video below).

The video combined audio recordings from the Alaska state troopers at the scene with dashcam and bodycam footage from the Fairbanks police department, and was released on Wednesday, KTOO reported.

The incident began at approximately 7:03 p.m. on Dec. 24, 2017, when Magdalene Eyre called 911 to report that her distraught son, 20-year-old Cody Eyre, was out walking alone, and that she was afraid he might harm himself or wander into the forest, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported.

Magdalene said her son was also carrying a small handgun, which was not unusual for him, the Associated Press reported.

Investigators learned that Eyre had also been drinking, and that the weapon he was carrying was a .22-caliber revolver loaded with a single bullet, according to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

They soon spotted him walking on a roadway in a wooded area, and announced themselves as officers, the video showed.

“I honestly don’t give a f--k!” Eyre screamed back at them.

“Officers followed and negotiated with Cody for 11 minutes while walking with him for nearly 1/2 mile,” Fairbanks Police Chief Eric Jewkes said during the press conference, KTOO reported.

The officers repeatedly asked Eyre to put down the weapon and to stop walking away. They tried to reason with him, and told him that “it’s not worth it,” as they followed behind the suicidal man, Chief Jewkes said.

According to the chief, the officers called out to Jewkes approximately 78 times during the incident.

“He’s got the gun up to his head,” one of the officers said in the video. “He’s continuing to walk away. We’re kinda following him at this point to a residential area.”

Eyre screamed at the officers to “shut the f--k up,” and repeatedly threatened to kill himself as he faced them with the weapon raised to his head.

“I’m f--king done!” he yelled. “I’ve tried to get help! I Joined the f--king military to get help!”

He walked a short distance further, then spun around on the officers again.

“Literally, if one of you draws one more time, I’m going to…you think I’m f--king joking?” Eyre said. “I just want somebody to see. I’m f--king done with life.”

Eyre assured the officers that he was going to kill himself that night.

“I’ll f--king blow my brains out, don’t worry. You guys don’t need to kill anybody,” he said. “That s--t doesn’t need to be on your conscience.”

“Risks vary in these situations and the incident ended when the risk became too great,” Chief Jewkes said, according to KTOO. “When Cody turned at them, pointed the gun at them and specifically screamed that they could die right now, the risk became too great and they were forced to act.”

Troopers Christine Joslin, James Thomas, and Elondre Johnson opened fire, as well as Officers Tyler Larimer and Richard Sweet, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported.

Chief Assistant Attorney General Paul Miovas later determined that the officers “were legally entitled to use deadly force to protect themselves and their fellow officers,” according to the news outlet.

Eyre had 23 gunshot wounds, some of which were bullet exit wounds, so the exact number of times he was hit was unclear.

An independent pathologist sought out by Eyre’s family determined that the fatal round struck the back of Eyre’s head, the Juneau Empire reported.

His family staged a silent protest at the Fairbanks Police Department during the press conference, and previously had alleged that the video had been edited, according to KTOO.

"The family believes that due to tactical incompetence, Cody was sentenced to a preventable execution. This didn't need to end in death," his sister, Samantha Eyre-told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

Eyre’s mother argued that her son was not guilty of anything.

"We saw them shoot Cody. We saw him fall, and they said 'the suspect is down.' Cody was never a suspect,” Magdalena said. “He didn't do anything wrong. He was not a criminal.”

In September, the family alleged that the officers violated Eyre’s civil rights, and announced they planned to file a wrongful death lawsuit within 30 days, KTUU reported.

You can watch footage of the officers’ encounter with Eyre in the video below:

Comments (25)
View Older Messages

I don't know. I normally support the police, but the guy had a .22 caliber revolver with one bullet. They apparently knew that. I'd say these cops were not trained to deal with a suicidal individual. I don't believe the guy wanted to kill himself, or he would have done it. I think he was crying out for help and didn't know how to do it. A single shot .22 against 5+ troopers with assault weapons. The shooting went on too long, which isn't shown on the video, and there were a few pretty late shots that obviously were shot after he was down. If I'm on the jury, I'd want a good explanation.


i feel for the family, they called the police hoping they could help her son. sadly, they couldn't, but as stated money won't fix that nor will blame placed on the wrong people.


The parents knew this guy had issues, so why was there a gun in the home?

Old Hawg
Old Hawg

Would any of you who criticize the officers for shooting be willing to let someone point a loaded firearm at you, hoping that he wouldn't shoot? In case you didn't know it, a .22 LR projectile will kill you every bit as dead as a .44 magnum round.


This incident is the catch 22 of police work, The young man said he wanted to die, did little to dispell that, the family knew he had mental health issues they knew he was armed at the time. Just because they say he had only one bullet does not mean the officers can assume that is the case. The fact that he was able to move freely and officers could not contain his movement created an additional risk to the public, the man and officers since anyone could stumble on this moving situation and get caught up in the middle of it. Being unable to engage him in a prolonged conversation and having little to no actual cover vs concealment for them adds to the danger. often people in crisis want the suffering to end and can't find ways to do it themselves and when confronted with law enforcement they can create a situation that they know will force the officers to act with force. for those saying that the officers shot too many times, please keep in mind that each officer is viewing the event from their point of view, meaning that they are not aware of the actions of the other officers involved they do not assume that each officer has fired at the subject and as long as the subject is moving and in possession of the firearm he is a deadly threat to them and others in the area. unlike TV the bad guy does not go down at the first shot fired every time and is not always prevented from firing his weapon, to ask the officers to hope he does not return fire is not acceptable as long as the officers believe the suspect remains a danger to them and others. That stops once the suspect stops movement or no longer has the ability to return fire on the officers or the public at large or responds to verbal commands of the officers. Officers deal with people in crisis all the time and are trained to deal with those events but like everything else, officers deal with, each event is different and the variables are never exactly the same. they did the best they could under the conditions and personality they were confronted with. Understanding the cause of someone’s mental illness is nice, but it becomes secondary when they are armed with a gun/ knife endangering themselves and others in the present.people under the influence of mental illness, drugs, alcohol, emotions or a combination, do not necessarily think or respond rationally. The response you get is beyond your control. The only things you control are yourself, the decisions you make and the tactics you use. The subject controls how they choose to respond and react. It's sad that the family now wants to blame the police for this since they themselves couldn't deal with their family members issues and they new those problems better than the officers ever could. under different conditions with the same officers could this have turned out better one never knows had they had him contained in a home and were able to wait him out maybe or he might have still killed himself or forced the officers to do it for him. these officers did a good job trying to slow things down limit his movement under the conditions they had and that how this needs to be viewed not with 20/20 hindsight.


Sounds like the family got offended and wanted to protest because the officer used the term "suspect" rather than whatever term they wanted the officers to use. Then took that one line and extended it to belief the officers had other intentions.