VIDEO: Cop Tells Man To Drop Knife Over 40 Times, Shoots Inches Away

WARNING - Graphic Content. It doesn't get any closer than this.

Fort Collins, CO - Body-cam video was released on Tuesday of an incident where a suspect with a knife was fatally shot by police officers (video below.)

The incident occurred on July 1 near the Colorado State University campus in Fort Collins, according to The Coloradoan.

On July 1, Jeremy Holmes' mother, Susan, called 911 to report that her son was carrying a big knife and was going to kill his brother and sister-in-law.

She told dispatchers that he was walking from Drake Road and College Avenue to his brother's and sister-in-law's home at Aggie Village Apartments.

Susan Holmes also said that Jeremy had mental health issues and had consented to a mental health evaluation about two weeks ago. The results or details from the mental health assessment have not been released.

"He's got mental health issues that have been growing for the last few months just dramatically. ... There's no reason for him to be doing this."

She also said in the 911 call that Jeremy had told her he planned to charge at police so that he would die.

"He just said you're going to lose either two sons today or one. I'm just so horrified."

Colorado State University Corporal Phil Morris responded, located Jeremy Holmes about 25 minutes later, and began talking with him.

Fort Collins Police Services Officer Erin Mast was enroute to a burglary call when she passed Cpl. Morris and Jeremy. She immediately saw what was happening, and stopped to assist.

Cpl. Morris could be heard telling Jeremy, to drop the knife more than 40 times.He also repeatedly told Jeremy Holmes that he didn't want to hurt him, and that there were options available to him.

Jeremy Holmes could be heard telling the officers that he wanted to die, and that he would put the knife down if he could be given immunity.

"This is the end, so I want you to kill me."

As Jeremy advanced, Cpl. Morris advised Officer Mast that he was going to try to use his taser on him. Jeremy charcge as Cpl. Morris began to switch to his taser from his firearm.

In less than two seconds, Jeremy closed the distance to Cpl. Morris, who was able to fire shots as Jeremy was just inches away. Officer Mast also fired multiple times at Jeremy Holmes, who fell to the ground.

He was transported to Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland, where he was pronounced dead.

The time frame from when Cpl. Morris exited his vehicle to confront Jeremy Holmes and when he was shot was just over a minute and a half.

Jeremy Holmes' weapon was described as an 11.25 inch bayonet knife that he purchased at a pawn shop four days earlier.

At a press conference on Tuesday, CSU Police Department Chief Scott Harris said that both officers tried to de-escalate the situation. He commended the officers' actions, which he called "exemplary."

Chief Harris said Cpl. Morris' actions included "trying to do whatever he could to de-escalate and to get the gentleman, Mr. Holmes, to drop that knife" alone until officer Mast arrived and provided cover.

Fort Collins Interim Police Chief Terry Jones said that the outcome of the shooting was unfortunate. He explained the 21-foot rule, which officers across the nation are taught, and said that any armed suspect within 21 feet of an officer is considered lethal.

He said "but if you notice in Officer Mast's video just how close Mr. Holmes got to (Morris), it was surprising the threat stopped as fast as it did." The distance between where Jeremy Holmes fell to where Cpl. Morris was standing was about 11 feet.

Chief Jones said that officers did everything they could, and called Morris' actions to de-escalate "impressive."

After her son was fatally shot, Susan Holmes has been openly critical of the officers and how they handled the incident.

In an open letter to city leaders and the media, she said:

"...the DA’s summary of facts excludes pertinent details that would indicate there was significant error on the part of the police including the DA’s unacknowledged use of excessive force. My son, Jeremy Holmes was shot six times. Provision of the missing facts along with the deconstruction of Officer Morris’s actions, will reveal that Jeremy’s death was unnecessary and preventable."

Susan Holmes said that her son was suffering a severe reaction to THC found in marijuana, which caused him to be suicidal. She asked to view the unedited video where her son's face and his injuries could be seen, and was given consent.

Chief Jones said, "I feel very bad for the whole ordeal. Unfortunately, her son died that evening, and it was his actions that resulted in the actions taken by law enforcement."

Morris' body-cam video is the first time that the Colorado State University has released body-cam video of an officer-involved shooting. A pilot phase of a program to test body-cameras for CSU officers was held over the summer, and officers have been wearing them for about two months.

You can see the video of the shooting below. WARNING - Graphic Content:

No. 1-6

Just another reason the mentally ill need better help, BUT if they dont want it they need to be kept away from the public. And before someone goes off about civil liberties of the mentally ill, what about the innocent people in the world that are at risk of being attacked by a mentally ill person? Where are those persons rights? If you believe they have a right to act like that and not take meds and be productive citizens then YOU take them into your homes and take care of them and deal with the unstable outbursts of anger and or sadness!



Looks like she called for an invol, but not much else to be done unless each officer is issued a long-range less lethal like a 40mm. Invols in the Seattle area are a joke. The doctors treat them like the cops just sent them in because they don't want to deal with them, and they release these people without help. The whole mental health system is broken and nobody wants to pay to fix it.


@Jannie, an involuntary commitment would have been an option for his parents to take. This is an option in my state, at least, and one that we use when necessary. Our agency made a monumental screwup when an officer declined to take custody of a mentally ill subject decades ago and resulted in a mass shooting incident (the same evening) leaving many dead and wounded. The commitment order is issued by a magistrate and the subject is taken to a secure mental heath facility for evaluation and further treatment or movement to another mental health facility as an inpatient or outpatient. A formal court hearing is then scheduled.


@JBo , according to the article, Mom obviously was trying to get him treatment and it breaks my heart you are putting the blame on her. My husband is bi-polar and obviously you have NO clue what it's like trying to get help for your loved one. Medications take 6-8 weeks before you see results and Mental Health facilities cannot hold them for more than 24 hours in most cases. Hospitalization is also voluntary unless the person is 5150'd, then they medicate and release them when they are doped up enough to bot be a problem. To top that off, try to get a mentally ill person to take their medications. You can't make them and if they refuse and are uncooperative, then there is nothing you can do. I've lived with this for over 40 years and love my husband. I am proactive in his care, with him at every appointment and he doesn't like being depressed all the time and the times he swings the other way into psychosis is like a high feeling for them, where they feel they can do no wrong. However, you absolutely cannot force a person to take the medication that will eventually help them.Yes, the officer did exactly what he had to do and gave the kid more than enough chances and there was absolutely no wrong-doing on his part whatsoever. So, before you judge the mom, walk in her shoes, and mine for 40 years.


I'm not sure what the mother of this kid expected the officer to do. He was left with no other option.