Steve Stephens Dead After Police Locate Him Driving Down Road

Erie, PA - Pennsylvania State Police located Steve Stephens driving his car in Erie Tuesday morning, prompting him to fatally shoot himself.

Erie, PA - Pennsylvania State Police located Steve Stephens driving his car in Erie Tuesday morning, prompting him to fatally shoot himself.

According to Erie PD, Pennsylvania State Police were following Steve Stephens as he drove his white Ford Fusion near Buffalo Road at 11:10 AM, according to GoErie.

Law enforcement followed the vehicle traveling west into Erie, and they attempted a traffic stop on his vehicle. After a short pursuit, Stephens fatally shot himself, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

The car is now stopped in the westbound lanes of the road in front of the former Burton Elementary School, 1660 Buffalo Road. Law enforcement is blocking off the area.

Steve Stephen’s cell phone last connected to cell phone towers Sunday in Erie, 100 miles east of Cleveland where the murder took place, according to CNN.

The victim of the murder that was live-streamed on Facebook Live has been identified as Robert Godwin Sr., 74. Robert Godwin’s family is asking the public not to contribute to any GoFundMe account set up in his name because they are believed to be fraudulent. There is no official way to donate at this time.

Steve Stephens was on Facebook live Sunday at around 3 PM as he pulled beside Robert Godwin Sr., who was walking down the street on East 93rd Street just south of the Interstate 90 according to

Stephens said, “Found me somebody I’m going to kill, this guy right here, this old dude,” before stepping out of his car. He approached Godwin and told him to say a woman’s name. Godwin tried telling Stephens that he didn’t want any trouble before Stephens shot one round into his head. Stephens then spoke to the woman through the camera saying that it was all because of her.

In a Facebook post, Stephens said, “I lost everything I ever had due to gambling. I do not go into details but I’m a (sic) my breaking point I’m really on some murder shit. … FB you have 4 minutes to tell me why I shouldn’t be on death row!!! I’m dead serious. #teamdeathrow.”

Stephens claimed that he had murdered 15 people, although police have only located the body of the elderly man from the live-stream.

His Facebook account has now been deactivated. We have a copy of the video but won’t be hosting an unedited version out of respect for the victim. The edited video is available HERE.

Shanice Dunning spoke with the family of Robert Godwin Sr., who said that he was a good man who would give you the shirt off of his back.

“He was a good guy. He would give you the shirt off his back,” he said. “I’m not just saying that for these cameras … This man, right here, was a good man and I hate that he’s gone.”

Thankfully, this oxygen thief is no longer free to terrorize or attack innocent people. Thank you to everybody who remained vigilant during the search for Steve Stephens. Please let others know that they can stand down from the search.

Our thoughts and prayers remain with the family of Robert Godwin Sr.

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of Blue Lives Matter posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.