Officer Sent To ICU After Being Bitten By Snake While On-Duty

Greenville Police Officer Marissa Morrison was bitten by a rattlesnake while on duty and needed 16 vials of antivenin

Montgomery, AL – An Alabama police officer spent three days in the Intensive Care Unit after being bitten by a timber rattlesnake while on duty early Monday morning.

The incident occurred while Greenville Police Officer Marissa Morrison was working the 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. shift on June 17, according to the Birmingham News.

Officer Morrison parked her patrol vehicle in a scenic spot behind the airport to sit and finish paperwork before her shift ended.

At about 5:20 a.m., the officer got out of her police car to stretch her legs and then walked a short distance to take a picture of the sunrise, the Birmingham News reported.

She said she was walking back to her vehicle when she suddenly felt a sting and heard the rattle of the snake.

“He was huge and he gave me no warning,’’ Officer Morrison said. “I remember screaming and I ran away from him.”

She quickly got on her police radio and called for help, the Birmingham News reported.

Greenville Police Corporal Jimmy Oliver knew where Officer Morrison’s hiding spot was and was able to get there before an ambulance arrived.

Officer Tom Powell arrived right after Oliver, the Birmingham News reported.

Not wanting to waste time waiting for the ambulance, Cpl. Oliver put Officer Morrison in his patrol car and raced her to the hospital.

When they arrived at the hospital, she was unable to walk so Cpl. Oliver picked her up and ran her into the emergency room, according to the Birmingham News.

“I had started feeling lightheaded and I was shaking,’’ Officer Morrison said. “He just scooped me up and carried me inside… They were panicking. They did their best to get me to where I needed to be. They did an outstanding job. I’m so lucky and blessed to have them.”

Officer Morrison had been bitten in the calf muscle and her leg had swelled up dramatically.

The snake’s bite span was one-and-a-half inches wide, the Birmingham News reported.

Doctors treated the officer with 16 vials of antivenin over a two-day period in the Intensive Care Unit. On Wednesday, she was being moved to a regular hospital room.

Officer Morrison, the mother of seven, eight, and three-month-old children, said she hoped she would be home by the weekend, according to the Birmingham News.

Medical staff have warned the officer that it could be more than a month before she can return to full duty.

Comments (10)
No. 1-9

So happy you are going to be ok - lucky one of your servicemen knew your whereabouts!!


Wishing the officer a speedy and full recovery. The only blessing is that it wasn't a human bite, which is a really nasty and toxic bite.


Glad she will be making a full recovery, even if it takes more than a month.


One reason to make sure at least one person knows where your hidey-hole is.


Mother of seven, eight, and three month old? Look. That doesn't make sense, but OKAY....