Florida Police Capture Woman Who Fatally Shot 8-Year-Old Daughter, Stepfather

Sandy Malone

Port St. Lucie police said 28-year-old Alyssa Marie Torres admitted to killing her daughter and stepfather.

Port St. Lucie, FL – Police have arrested a woman who shot her eight-year-old daughter and her stepfather in their home early on Monday morning.

Port. St. Lucie Police Assistant Chief William Vega told reporters at a press conference that 28-year-old Alyssa Marie Torres had been taken into custody without incident and that she had admitted to murdering her daughter and her stepfather.

Police responded to Waterleaf Townhomes Apartments at about 12:30 a.m. on June 24 for a report of two people fatally shot, WFTS reported.

They found Torres’ little girl, Amarilyss Martinez, and her 54-year-old stepfather, Felix Rivera, dead at the scene when they arrived, WPTV reported.

Her mother, 53-year-old Marisol Rivera, was also injured, although not by a gunshot.

She was transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, WFTS reported.

Marisol Rivera identified her daughter to police as the shooter, Chief Vega said.

Torres fled the scene in a silver Toyota Rav4 and police announced that she was considered armed and dangerous on their official Facebook page.

Chief Vega said Torres was taken into custody at about 10:30 a.m. in Fort Pierce in a joint action by Port St. Lucie police detectives, St. Lucie County sheriff’s deputies, and a U.S. Marshals task force, according to WFTS.

He said there were no other suspects at large in the incident.

The chief said that Torres cooperated during her arrest and was cooperating with investigators.

He said she had admitted to shooting her family members but that police did not yet know a motive for the murders.

Chief Vega said police were still in the process of executing search warrants on the two crime scenes, and anticipated recovering the weapon used to shoot Martinez and Rivera.

He said that Torres lived at the residence where she murdered her family.

The chief said police have answered some disturbance calls at the address but it was never a criminal matter.

Torres has been charged with two counts of murder and one count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, according to Chief Vega.

A former co-worker expressed shock when she heard the news, WPTV reported.

"It definitely doesn't seem like something she would've done. It's mind-boggling to me," Angela McClendon said.

McClendon said she worked with Torres at Women's Health Specialists about two years ago and remembered the young mother as being positive and upbeat, WPTV reported.

"She was always bubbly and giddy. She was always laughing at everything," she said. "There was never anything that I heard that would throw red flags out."

Family members told WPTV that they hadn’t seen the little girl in a long time because Torres cut off all contact with the child’s father.

“It doesn't make any sense," Veronica Martinez, the murdered little girl’s older sister said. "We're trying to figure it out ourselves."

She said she hadn't seen Amarilyss in at least two years.

"We don't know where she lives, we don't know anything about her," Veronica Martinez said. "She blocked my dad on social media, so we don't know anything. She doesn't have any contact with him."

The school district where the eight-year-old girl attended released a statement about the tragedy, WPTV reported.

“The St. Lucie Public Schools is saddened to hear about the tragic and unfortunate passing of our student, Amarilyss Martinez,” the school district wrote. “Amarilyss was a 2nd grade student in our district. Such times are difficult for all of us; however, we will support one another during this time of grief."

Comments (1)
No. 1-1

Justice come fast and swift with this one. She’s no mother. Mother’s dont kill their children!