Cowboys QB Dak Prescott Caught Throwing Party Despite 'Safer At Home' Order
Prosper, TX – Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott is accused of having put on a birthday bash for a friend on Friday night in flagrant violation of the social-distancing guidelines and the state’s “safer at home” order.
The party took place at Prescott’s home in Prosper on Friday night and Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott was amongst the 30 guests in attendance, according to TMZ.
Collin County, where Prosper is located, has ordered its residents to only leave their homes for essential reasons.
The party also violated Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s “safer at home” order that was extended through the end of the month on April 3.
TMZ released pictures and video of the catered affair, which included at least one intimately-seated table for 10.
The pictures and video clearly showed the event was not set up to be a social-distancing affair.
TMZ spotlighted the fact that teammate Elliott was featured in the background of one of the pictures that showed guests lined up to partake of a buffet from Nick and Sam’s Steakhouse in Dallas and clearly not observing social distancing.
After the TMZ report was brought to the attention of the Prosper Police Department, officers went to the Prescott’s home to investigate, 12UP reported.
Prosper police said they had not been able to confirm that the over-sized party had occurred, but that they spoke with the quarterback and reminded him about the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) social –distancing recommendations.
Prescott is in his fourth year as the Dallas Cowboys quarterback and earned $4.9 million. He was set to make $28.7 million in 2020.
Dallas Cowboys Executive Vice President Stephen Jones told ESPN on Tuesday that management had been in touch with Prescott and Elliott after the party made the news.
"I think they're certainly aware now of how sensitive these situations are," Jones said during a radio interview. "I don't think you'll be seeing that anymore. They're certainly guys we have the utmost respect for, and I certainly know they understand the sensitivity of the situation we're in today. It's certainly very serious and something that we know and certainly know they understand."
Prescott released a statement later the same day and denied the party had been bigger than 10 people, ESPN reported.
"I understand and accept that there are additional responsibilities and media scrutiny that come with being an NFL quarterback, but it is very frustrating and disappointing when people provide completely inaccurate information from anonymous sources, especially now," Prescott said. "To set the record straight - I know that we all need to do our best to socially distance and like everyone else, I am continuing to adjust to what that requires, but the truth is that I was with fewer than 10 people for a home dinner - not a party - on Friday night.”
He added that he would “continue to make sure to do my part by following the guidelines until we are approved to start returning to normal activities,” ESPN reported.
Elliott has made $28.8 million in his four seasons in Dallas. He’s going to make $19.8 million in 2020.
As of April 15, 15,492 residents of Texas have tested positive for the coronavirus and 364 people have died, according to Bing’s COVID-19 Tracker.