College Professor Shoots Self On Campus To Protest Trump, Keeps Job

The College of Southern Nevada faces criticism for their handling of a professor shooting himself in a campus bathroom.

Las Vegas, NV A college professor who shot himself on the second day of classes this fall said he shot himself in protest of President Donald Trump.

The incident occurred at about 8:15 a.m. on Aug. 28 as classes were beginning for the second day of the semester at the College of Southern Nevada, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Sociology Professor Emeritus Mark J. Bird allegedly went into a bathroom in the K building of the colleges Charleston campus and shot himself in the arm.

Several college employees and at least one student saw Bird stumble out of the bathroom bleeding and collapse, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

The police report said witnesses claimed to have heard a loud noise, but none of them realized that Bird was armed with a gun and had actually shot himself.

One employee of the college told police that hed held the professors hand to help calm him down while they waited for an ambulance to arrive. He said others tried to stop the bleeding, according to the police report.

The police report said that while they were waiting for help to arrive, the professor emeritus told those around him that he had shot himself in protest of President Trump.

College of Southern Nevada police said they found a $100 bill taped to the mirror inside the bathroom along with a note that said For the janitor, according to the police report.

Officers recovered a black and white .22-caliber pistol and one spent shell casing from the bathroom floor after they arrived, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

Students and faculty were unhappy about the colleges handling of the incident.

Only a brief alert was sent out to students via text and email at about 8:47 a.m., with little detail included and no follow-up.

CSNPD investigsting (sic) person in Charleston (sic) K building bathroom with injuries. Firearm recovered, medical here, Scene is safe, was the entirety of the message shared with the campus population, according to an email to Blue Lives Matter from College of Southern Nevada Spokesman Richard Lake.

The president of the colleges faculty union, Robert Manis, spoke out on Tuesday and expressed concern about the lack of transparency following the incident.

They never really told the students much about it except that it was resolved on the actual day of the shooting, Manis told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. When you dont give the full details, then rumors go crazy. Its unfortunate because it made the students and faculty very afraid and allowed rumors to proliferate.

He said hed heard a number of different versions of the rumors in the two weeks since the shooting occurred.

Court records showed that Bird was charged with discharging a gun within a prohibited structure, carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, and possessing a dangerous weapon on school property. He was ordered held on a $50,000 bond.

Bird was initially placed on a 72-hour hold for mental health observation, a staff member of the Clerk of Courts office told Blue Lives Matter the day after the shooting.

Lake said that Bird was still employed by the university as a professor emeritus as of Tuesday, according to The Washington Times.

He told Blue Lives Matter via email that Bird had been employed by the College of Southern Nevada since Aug. 23, 1993, and remained employed in the Department of Human Behavior on the Charleston Campus after he shot himself in a campus bathroom.

Lake told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that it remained unclear what disciplinary action, if any, would be taken against the professor for discharging a firearm on campus.

Comments (37)
No. 1-27
Richard Kurtz
Richard Kurtz

Ooooo K.

DavidPeoria
DavidPeoria

Violence for some but not for others. If he was a conservative shooting himself because of Obama he would be dead meat.

Not_a_lib
Not_a_lib

Looks like another derranged mentally ill Democrat shooting off an illegal gun in a school. 

Those suffering trump_derrangement_syndrome grow more dangerous eacH day.

Liberal; a mental illness, a distortion of reality, a conflict between emotion and reason and a constant search for something to be a victim of

spunkylavaar
spunkylavaar

Gee - Let's make this a challenge thing (like the cinnamon challenge)! If you want to protest Mr. Trump properly, get a gun and shoot yourself in an extremity. Ten points for an arm, twenty for a leg, and thirty for the thigh. If you're a felon under disability, you can opt to use a knife in your protest, but point values will be (pun intended) cut in half.

rover77
rover77

another 'school shooting', sounds like an old RG 22

THEDUKE
THEDUKE

A PUBLIC SERVICE REMINDER

Has everyone gone to get their mental illness vaccination yet this season?

The autumn / winter mental illness season is now upon us. Employers need to prepare their employees for mental influenza. That includes encouraging vaccination shots, examining mental illness sick leave policies, initiating and communicating basic mental illness prevention strategies, and ensuring cleanliness in the workplace by washing your hands often. Please do so soon to help eradicate this public mental health issue.

WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

ProGODProUSA
ProGODProUSA

I feel like I'm reading about Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde" - "I object!" This gesture by the professor is just as empty-headed.

JBo
JBo

Next time when you protest something...pick a difficult target, like your head, but first, tape two $100 bills up.

jinx73
jinx73

this lunatic does not belong at any school.

Pack
Pack

I support liberals doing this! The bad part is that this will be added to falsely inflate school shooting numbers.

Just-My-Thoughts
Just-My-Thoughts

What an idiot

Aaron57
Aaron57

How is shooting one's self a form of protest?

Officer Cynical
Officer Cynical

Likelihood of negligent discharge: 87.64% Likelihood of failed suicide attempt: 12.35% Likelihood of anti-Trump protest: 0.01%

La Migra
La Migra

He should have shot himself, where the sun don't shine...hehehe

Hi_estCommDenomn
Hi_estCommDenomn

I love that picture of President Trump, smiling proudly, almost as if to say good motherfucker, shoot yourself see if I give a shit. Maybe he was just trying to abide by Maxine Waters' commands.

Hi_estCommDenomn
Hi_estCommDenomn

angeleyes
angeleyes

can we say mentally ill... i wouldn't pay him to teach my children anything.

LordSeamus
LordSeamus

What a frelling moron........if you are going to shoot yourself, at least do it somewhere fatal, like in the femoral artery or even in the groin, so you bleed out quickly so as to end our having to deal with you again. I agree with @Officer Cynical , with one difference. I'd swap the failed suicide attempt for the negligent discharge percentages.

LostAllSanity
LostAllSanity

Watching liberals is like a circus act where all the performers are on drugs.

Gramercy
Gramercy

YA know what? I am CERTAIN this individual should NOT have been allowed to keep his job/position! He is NOT instructor material at all for ANY youth of today! Get him OUT..and bring in someone who has the passion to teach....and not the innocuous and poor judgement he has so far displayed!

satmantoo
satmantoo

@Hi_estCommDenomn thats my reaction! LOL!!

Doc___
Doc___

Department of Human Behavior LMAO! I wonder if everyone can carry or just the staff...

Rascal1966
Rascal1966

I notice that there no picture to be found of this liberal idiot for brains!!! He needs to be fired for pulling such a stunt on school grounds!! Too bad he didn't blow his brains out instead!!

magnumforc
magnumforc

Stupid liberal professor...the instruction book told him to shoot himself in the head and he couldn't even follow that simple instruction. Any wonder our colleges are producing a spate of village idiots..

TangoTango
TangoTango

Any Professor who plans to cause a self inflicted gunshot wound to protest President Trump, PLEASE HELP ALL THE STUDENTS BY PLACING THE END OF THE BARREL IN YOUR EYE SOCKET, IN THE ROOF OF YOUR MOUTH OR TO THE TEMPLE AREA OF YOUR HEAD AND THEN PULL THE TRIGGER!!!! This will help everyone to know how serious you are about your moronic cause!!!!

This story proves how low Colleges are reaching to scrape up the scum of the teaching world to hire and pay such a waste of a staff position!!!!

I thought Las Vegas had a better campus than this. The fact they kept this Lobotomy patient on the payroll shows a COMPLETE LACK OF LEADERSHIP ON CAMPUS!!!!!

61mouse
61mouse

MAGA 1 BY 1 Next time do it right

retiredcop
retiredcop

Does anyone else see something wrong with a college protecting a professor who shoots himself on campus and in the same issue of Blue Lives Matter a teacher is put on unpaid leave for requesting more security after being sexually assaulted on campus? And these institutions teach our children...damn that is scary.