Westerly, RI – Three people have been shot and a gunman is still on the loose on Thursday morning in a public senior housing complex in Westerly.
Rhode Island State Police Superintendent Colonel James M. Manni said that the shooting occurred at Babcock Village, a senior apartment building in the 100-block of Cross Street, the Providence Journal reported.
State police and multiple local agencies have been responding to the scene.
Schools in the area were put into lockdown shortly after 11 a.m.
The shooter is still at large and Col. Manni said a state police SWAT team was responding to the scene, the Providence Journal reported.
There was no information available about the identity or conditions of the gunshot victims, WTIC reported.
At least one victim has been transported to Westerly Hospital and was being treated, WPRI reported.
The Rhode Island Department of Health said it had been contacted regarding the incident at the senior housing complex.
The agency’s director, Joseph Wendelken, told WPRI that the health department was asked to utilize its “patient tracking system. When there are multiple people involved in one incident, we are able to coordinate if they are getting care at multiple facilities.”
Nearby businesses went into lockdown as residents of the area were asked to shelter in place.
This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of Blue Lives Matter posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.