BREAKING: Officer Down In Kansas

Christopher Berg

A Sedgwick County deputy was shot Sunday afternoon.

Sedgwick County, KS - A Sedgwick county deputy was shot in the line of duty Sunday afternoon.

The shooting happened at around 2 p.m. in the area of N. 295th St West and W. 21st St. North, according to The Wichita Eagle.

The sheriff's office has declined to release any details about the shooting, but local news is reporting that a deputy was transported to the hospital after being shot.

A press conference is expected later in the evening.

Scanner traffic indicates a person suffered a gunshot wound to the neck, but it's not clear who that may be.

No information about the identify of the deputy or suspect have been released at this time. It hasn't been released if the suspect has been taken into custody.

Police cars have been lining up outside of the hospital.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office, the wounded deputy, and their family.

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated. For all of our updates, follow us on Facebook and go to your news feed preferences under your settings, then select that you want to see more of Blue Lives Matter posts in your news feed. Otherwise, Facebook may not show you updates.

Comments (3)


No. 1-3

Sedgwick County Sheriff 42 mins · It is with great sadness that I inform you that Deputy Robert K. Kunze III was killed today in the line of duty. Deputy Kunze was 41 years old and a 12 year veteran of the Sedgwick County Sheriffs Office. Prior to his employment with the Sedgwick County Sheriffs Office, Deputy Kunze was a 6 year veteran of the Shawnee County Sheriffs Office. On Sunday, September 16, 2018, at approximately 1:18 pm, deputies were dispatched to the area of 53rd Street North and 295th Street West for a suspicious character. Deputy Kunze found a subject matching the description of the suspicious character call near the intersection of 295th Street West on 21st Street North, at approximately 1:42 pm. At approximately 1:48 pm, Deputy Kunze activated the emergency button on his portable radio. Deputy Farias arrived on scene and notified dispatch a deputy was down. Deputy Kunze was transported to St. Francis by ambulance. Deputy Kunze succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased at approximately 2:55 pm. The suspect that shot Deputy Kunze was pronounced dead at the scene. The suspects name is not being released at this time. We are still currently investigating the circumstances that led to the shooting.

Please keep his family and our department in your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

Image may contain: 1 person, text


RIP. so sorry for his family and friends, both blood and blue. Is it me or is it open season on officers? Glad the POS is dead though. It is a war out there people. Our officers, front line protectors, are being shot with alarming regularity. No more respect or caution for officers, from "citizens" or even their own higher ups in the department and higher up than that. I feel so bad for his family for this tragedy to happen. Soon all we'll have are the officers we have now, no more new will even join up, no new recruits. What then? Stay strong, stay safe.