Hero Down: Weymouth Officer Michael Chesna Murdered With Rock & Own Gun

A Weymouth police officer was hit in the head with a rock before his attacker shot him repeatedly with his duty weapon.

Weymouth, MA – Weymouth Police Officer Michael Chesna was murdered in the line of duty on Sunday morning, after he pursued a suspect on foot following a car crash.

The incident occurred at approximately 7:30 a.m., when a man later identified as Emmanuel Lopes crashed his vehicle after driving erratically in the area of South Shore Hospital, WPRI reported.

Officer Chesna, 42, responded to the area and spotted Lopes “actively vandalizing a home” in Burton Terrace, Norfolk County Assistant District Attorney Greg Connor said during a press conference.

Officer Chesna got out of his patrol vehicle with his duty weapon drawn and ordered Lopes to stop, Connor explained.

He began chasing the suspect, who attacked Officer Chesna by hitting him in the head with a large rock, WCVB reported.

The strike knocked Officer Chesna to the ground, Connor said.

Lopes then stole the officer’s duty weapon and shot him several times in the head and chest.

Officer Chesna was rushed to South Shore Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

As other officers chased after Lopes on foot, he fired Officer Chesna’s weapon three more times, fatally striking an unnamed woman who was inside her home.

Lopes was also hit once in his lower leg during the shootout with police, Connor said.

He was subsequently apprehended and transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Lopes is expected to be arraigned on two counts of homicide on Monday.

Officer Chesna was killed just one day shy of his sixth anniversary with the department, Weymouth Police Chief Richard Grimes said during the press conference.

He was assigned to the Traffic Division’s midnight shift.

“I would see him in the morning coming in from the street and he always had a kind word and a good attitude,” Chief Grimes recalled. “He was one of those people that truly sought this job, was fortunate enough to get it, and very much appreciated it, and we very much appreciated his service to the Weymouth Police Department.”

Prior to his career in law enforcement, Officer Chesna served in the U.S. Army, including several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, WCVB reported.

During the press conference, Chief Grimes described Officer Chesna as a “family man,” who leaves behind a wife and two young daughters, ages four and nine.

“Our concerns right now are with Mike’s family, as well as my Weymouth Police Department family, going forward,” the chief said.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Weymouth Police Officer Michael Chesna, both blood and blue. Thank you for your service.

Officer Michael Chesna, your life mattered.

Comments (29)
No. 1-25
Burgers Allday
Burgers Allday
Updated on

Better retention holsters needed. Because Blue Lives Matter.

ON EDIT: see shooter's helpful clarification downthread


Prayers for his family and LEO family. Yet again...another murder of a public servant.

Ken Curtis
Ken Curtis

He had his weapon drawn. It was not holstered. Besides, unless you were involved, you or me or anyone else has not idea exactly what went down in this horrible incident.


These and bigger are what our Border Patrol agents face from the Mexicans all day everyday. R.I.P. sir and Thankyou for your service.


@Burgers Allday

It would help if you read the article...

"...Officer Chesna got out of his patrol vehicle with his duty weapon drawn..."

There was no issue regarding his holster.