Hero Down: Steven's Point PD K9 Luna Dies After Eating Wild Mushrooms
Stevens Point, WI – Stevens Point Police Department (SPPD) K9 Luna died from multiple organ failure on Sept. 4, two days after she mistakenly ingested wild mushrooms.
The two-and-one-half-year-old Belgian Malinois’ health deteriorated rapidly after she suffered “multiple seizures” on Sept. 2, the SPPD said in a Facebook post.
She had ingested the poisonous wild mushrooms earlier in the day, WSAU reported.
K9 Luna was rushed to the Stevens Point Animal Hospital for an emergency evaluation, and was subsequently transported to the Animal Referral Center Fox Valley, according to her department.
She became unresponsive at approximately 11 p.m.
“At [approximately] 2:00am on Sept. 4th Luna took a turn for the worse and it is with profound sadness that we must report that the Stevens Point Police Department lost one of their own, and without a doubt, most beloved member this morning,” the agency’s post read. “Luna died of multiple organ failure.”
K9 Luna, who was trained in apprehension, tracking, and drug detection, joined the SPPD in April of 2018 as one of the department’s first K9 officers.
“In Luna’s short career she served the community honorably and was loved by everyone she came in contact with,” the SPPD statement said.
K9 Luna leaves behind her human partner, Stevens Point Police Officer J.D. Ballew, and his family.
Hours after her death was announced, SPPD raised an American flag “in honor of K9 Luna’s service to the City of Stevens Point and Portage County,” the department said in a later post.
The flag flew for 24 hours before it was lowered and presented to Officer Ballew, the Stevens Point Journal reported.
“Luna was more than a police dog,” Stevens Point Police Chief Martin Skibba told the paper. “She was a beloved member of our law enforcement family, and a valuable asset to the community.”
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Stevens Point Police Department and Officer Ballew in the loss of K9 Luna.