Never take a moment off from firearms safety, friends. Never.
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like this reminder of the importance of firearms safety? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details and benefits.
What do these videos teach us about practicing firearms safety?
- The rules of firearm safety apply in a gunfight, just like they do on the range or in your home. Whether you prefer to articulate them as Colonel Cooper’s four rules or the NRA’s three rules (I have a discussion of my preference here: https://get-asp.com/cfgf if you want to read it), you must have the presence of mind to keep your firearm pointed in the appropriate direction and only fire when you will not hit an innocent. You are morally and legally responsible for the rounds that leave your gun, so make sure to train and practice so that you take responsible shots in the moment of need.
- The first rule of firearms safety is to always keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction. ALWAYS keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction! A safe direction is one that is never pointed at someone who is not a deadly threat to you or others, and will minimize property damage if the firearm were to have a negligent discharge. If you follow this first rule, even if you somehow discharge the firearm, no one will be hurt and that’s the biggest goal.
- The second rule of firearms safety is to keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to fire! I like to bolster that rule by framing it as “keep your fingers completely out of the trigger guard until you’ve decided to fire.”
- You’re responsible for every bullet that leaves the muzzle of your firearm, especially for bullets that leave the muzzle because of your negligence. You are 100% going to face consequences for negligent discharge of a firearm, so never neglect your safety rules. Always keep your brain engaged with a firearm in your hands. The second you have it in hand, THINK!
- Spiritual fitness is an important part of Active Self Protection. You don’t often get any advance notice of the last day of your life, but we see over and over that self-defense isn’t a guarantee of winning every fight you might be placed in. You want to be at peace with your loved ones and with Jesus, because you’ll need that peace on the day that you meet Him. Since you can’t guarantee advanced notice, make peace today.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.