Supermarket Employee Attacked at Random
His ordeal teaches all of us some important Active Self Protection lessons.
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like this supermarket employee attacked at random? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details and benefits.
Find a good instructor in your area and get some training: https://get-asp.com/directory
News on this attack: https://get-asp.com/cs25
What does this video teach us about defending ourselves against a knife attack?
- You must accept that danger exists and that it can happen to you. This is the foundational core of spiritual fitness and the first step in taking proactive steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you live in a fantasyland that nothing bad can happen because nothing bad has happened in the past, you’re setting yourself up for a terrible letdown.
- In any territorial or predatorial violence, the attacker gets to set the time and circumstances of the attack. They will almost always launch that attack from ambush, or as we like to call it in Umas, from “obscurity.” Surviving that ambush is one of the most important keys to successfully defending yourself. Thankfully the clerk did survive the ambush.
- In the ambush stage of an attack, it’s simply not possible to defend against every single kind of attack that may come your way. Some tacticool folk I know think that they can thwart any potential attack that might be aimed at them, but honestly we see on video that they’re simply mistaken. Sometimes that first attack is GOING to succeed against us, no matter what, so our response must be able to include the fact that we may be diminished from absorbing that damage and staying in the fight. This is primarily an issue of emotional fitness, being able to stay mentally and emotionally present so as to end the threat and then assess our condition.
- As well-meaning as police officers are, they cannot protect you from danger. As the old adage says, “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!” You—and ONLY you—can protect yourself from danger when it comes upon you. A police response time of 5 minutes is considered perfectly acceptable in most suburban departments, and times upwards of 30 minutes can be the norm in rural areas! You need to have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from harm because the police simply can’t.
- Even if you’re injured, you must stay in the fight and not stop as long as you have consciousness. The human body is designed to take a ridiculous amount of injury and still function, so never stop fighting just because you’re injured! Even if you’re shot or stabbed, you have a 67-95% chance of surviving! (https://get-asp.com/ew3l and https://get-asp.com/p0hn give the details) So practice emotional fitness by knowing that even if the bad guy gets the jump and you’re injured, you’re still in the fight and still likely to survive if you take definitive action to protect yourself. As they say, the best cover is fire superiority and the best first aid is to end the threat!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.