The guy who held him in the store was a HUGE BRUTE!
What does this video teach us about defending ourselves against a robber?
- You must accept that danger exists and that it can happen to you. This is the foundational core of spiritual fitness and the first step in taking proactive steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you live in a fantasyland that nothing bad can happen because nothing bad has happened in the past, you’re setting yourself up for a terrible letdown. The clerk and customer were not accepting of this fact, and it left them in the danger zone a long time.
- If the store owner/clerk had been armed herself, this one could have been much different and he might not have been a threat to these ladies for as long as he was. Estonians can own and carry firearms for personal protection according to http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/estonia-government-withdraws-insistence-on-proposed-gun-ownership-restrictions/though it appears that not many do. Against that large kukri, I bet this lady wishes she had SOMETHING.
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers.
- Perhaps the biggest benefit of situational awareness is that it buys you time and space to respond to a threat, and time and space buy you options when considering how to protect yourself and your loved ones from a threat. Time and space give you the chance to escape and evade, or time and space to get your force multiplier in the fight, and time and space to better your defensive position and give you a better chance to be victorious. This guy was obviously being sketchy before the robbery started.
- If you do not have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from an attacker, then your only option is to submit to their demands and hope it works out for the best. I would never suggest that a helpless person try to defend themselves against a carjacking or armed robbery, though of course if it’s a matter of life and death you must do whatever you can. The point, though, is not to be a helpless victim! This is the heart of Active Self Protection, to motivate you to train and help you develop the attitude, skills, and plan so that you can choose to protect yourself if it makes sense in the moment rather than being forced into compliance with a violent felon.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.