Robbers Storm Jewelry Shop and Cause Bedlam
This jewelry store robbery shows how bad an outcome can be if we don’t have attitude, skills, and plan.
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like these robbers storming a jewelry shop? https://get-asp.com/patron or https://get-asp.com/patron-annual gives the details and benefits.
Find a good instructor in your area and get some training: https://get-asp.com/directory
The news story says that two jewelers died and several more were injured: https://get-asp.com/t62f
What does this video teach us about defending ourselves against robbers?
- We must never settle for being able to protect ourselves against a lone attacker because of how common multiple attacker engagements are. Rats travel in packs, so we must always be prepared to face multiple attackers! There were 5 robbers in this jewelry shop, and that’s about as many as I have seen in any robbery.
- Evil exists in our world, and no amount of wishing it away does so. Evil people do evil things, and good people must be ready and willing to stand between them and innocent people and do enough violence to stop them definitively. No amount of negotiation will make truly evil people change their ways; only those willing and able to stop them who use attitude, skills, and plan effectively can.
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers.
- If you do not have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from an attacker, then your only option is to submit to their demands and hope it works out for the best. I would never suggest that a helpless person try to defend themselves against a carjacking or armed robbery, though of course if it’s a matter of life and death you must do whatever you can. The point, though, is not to be a helpless victim! This is the heart of Active Self Protection, to motivate you to train and help you develop the attitude, skills, and plan so that you can choose to protect yourself if it makes sense in the moment rather than being forced into compliance with a violent felon.
- The +1 in the Five Ds +1 is the gateway to making the empty-handed skills work: DISTANCE. You must first close the distance against an armed attacker to get your hands in the fight and start the process! If an attacker has a firearm pointed at you from more than 2 arms lengths away, the chance of you closing that distance and getting your hands in the fight is minimal at best, so recognize when your opportunity happens and use it.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.